Bike Insurance FAQs

(Frequently Asked Questions)
  • Third-party only
  • Third-party, fire & theft
  • Fully comprehensive

There are six common types of motorcycles:

  • Sports and Superbikes
  • Scooters and mopeds
  • Naked bikes
  • Custom cruisers
  • Adventure sport
  • Touring motorcycles

From 16 years old you’ll be able to ride either a moped or a scooter, but before you can ride on the road, you’ll need to hold a provisional licence and have completed a CBT course. You’ll also need to display L plates when riding your scooter as it’s illegal to ride without them during your provisional licence period. Bike Devil can insure you subject to T&C’s. We cannot cover you online so please call us for a quote.

We will need to speak you (we cannot quote online) call for a quote.

We will look at a number of things which include:

  • The rider’s age
  • Riders experience
  • Riding history – including previous convictions or points on your licence
  • Previous claims – including no-claims bonus
  • Class of use – whether you use it for social use or for business use, etc.
  • Level of voluntary excess agreed
  • Bike location – where the bike is kept the majority of the time
  • Motorbike make and model, type and engine size
  • Security the bike has – including locks, alarms and trackers
  • Modifications

Are there different classes?

  • Social, domestic and pleasure
  • Commuting
  • Business use
  • Courier & delivery – currently not available with Bike Devil

If you’re keeping your bike on the road, you should insure your motorbike for the entire year. It’s illegal to have your motorbike uninsured and cancelling policies could work out being more expensive than continuing with a yearly policy. An alternative way is to declare it off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Motorbike licence grades are similar to driving licences categories that essentially show you which vehicle types you can drive e.g. cars, buses and trucks. Your motorbike licence will only entitle you to ride certain bikes. Restrictions will normally be based on your age, riding experience, and the power of the bike. You can read more on the website.

No, unfortunately if you have built up No Claims on a car you will not be able to transfer it over to a motorcycle.

Yes, if you have had an accident in a car you will have to declare the accident on your motorbike insurance..

Often referred to as ‘pillion cover’, this will depend on the policy you buy. Be sure to check the terms and conditions of your cover before carrying any passengers. You’ll also need to check that your licence allows you to carry passengers.

You can, with the correct bike insurance. Before you go abroad with your bike you should check to see if your policy covers you, how long you’re covered for and which countries you are insured for. You’ll also need to check if your level of cover is the same as when you’re abroad.

New models and imported bikes can be difficult to find, and some models are listed under a slightly different name. For example, you’ll find a Piaggio under “Vespa Piaggio”. If your details are correct and you still can’t select your bike, then unfortunately we won’t be able to help you get a quote at this time. Without knowing your bike’s exact details, the prices we return could be invalid.

With Bike Devil we will also provide a Legal Expense Policy with your Bike Insurance Cover. This will give you instant access to our Dedicated Claims and Legal Support Team. If you’re involved in an accident, after safety concerns have been met and emergency services (if necessary) have been contacted, you should report the matter to us. Make sure to pass on all the details you took from the scene of the accident to us without any delay, further information is provided within your policy documents. But if you have any questions or concerns about Legal cover please contact us and an advisor will answer your queries before you purchase a policy.

In certain instances, your insurance policy may already cover certain add-ons, but the full list of extra cover you may consider includes:

  • Pillion cover
  • Helmet and leathers cover
  • Breakdown cover
  • European/overseas cover